Monday, January 05, 2009

Wedding Univ: Nancy Liu Chin

Nancy Liu Chin
Floral Designer

How did you get started in the business?
After planning my own wedding, I loved the whole aspect of wedding décor. Since I married a top notch Bay Area wedding photographer I got to see first hand how passionate, committed, and gracious the wedding industry was and I knew that I wanted to be a part of a group of passionately, creative people who get to help other couples make their wedding day as special as my own.

What do you love most besides your job?
I am an avid reader and I usually read about 100 novels a year. My favorite books vary. They range from classics like Pride and Prejudice to contemporary fiction like the Twilight series. Beyond that, I am often teased that I am a perpetual traveler. Being from the Bay Area, you’ve got to be inspired by food and I am. On the weekends, you will find me exploring the many different neighborhoods within the City and walking my dog, Chin Chin.

What is your favorite flower to work with?
I go through phases and each season I fall in love with a different flower. For me, it’s about newness. It’s about what flower looks best and how well they hold up. Of course the more unusual it is, the more I tend to want to try to incorporate it into design. For many years, hydrangea was a favorite. Viburnum is also up there. During the spring time, I fall in love with buttercups and anemones. This past year, the Phalenopsis orchids were just stunning. Sometimes, it’s the color of a flower that surprises me. And even the modest carnation can be a dream flower especially when it’s a deep plum hue.

Any advice to brides on how to save money?
I have several suggestions. If you have a beautiful church, put more of your flower budget towards your reception flowers. Instead of doing all tall centerpieces, I often suggest a mixture of tall arrangements interspersed with some medium to lower arrangements. Work with a florist who has a lot of props or rental items so you can avoid purchasing containers and props.
One sure way to save is to get married off season in the winter months. Possibly the simplest solution is to get married on a weekday (non-holiday).

Come hear more of Nancy's suggestions at:

Sunday, Feb 8, 1- 5 PM
Four Seasons Hotel silicon Valley
2050 University Avenue, East Palo Alto
$25 for 1 person | $40 for 2 people

At Wedding University, well-respected professionals will guide you through the fundamentals of planning your wedding.  Topics include floral and tabletop design, music and dance, catering and menu planning (and tasting!), wedding coordination and photography and videography (taught by yours truly, Savadelis Films).

No comments: