Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wedding Univ: Jean Marks

Jean Marks
Jean Marks Wedding

Do you always have assistants working with you at your weddings?

Yes! Having at least one assistant for every wedding I coordinate is an essential facet of providing the high quality of service, which is a hallmark of Jean Marks Weddings. By having one or more well-trained assistants who manage the set up for the ceremony and reception, make s
ure the limos are on eimt, etc., I can essentially be in "two place at once" by maintaining close phone or radio communication.  This allows me to focus on the bride's and groom's needs as the day unfolds.

Providing the relaxed, yet well orchestrated day I promise my clients requires that I am also relaxed.  And I am, knowing that my team and I have everything under control.

Do you have any tips for brides and grooms?  Things that are often overlooked?

It is very important for the bride and groom, but particularly the bride, to make time to eat some simple protein and drink lots of water during the day.  I always take a "lunch order" for my brides, and provide exactly what they would like to eat on their wedding d
ay, even though they will be excited, distracted and busy. I have provided everything from a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to fresh sushi. If they neglect to eat and drink water, a massive headache may be awaiting them after the ceremony, just when they need to be flying high in the celebration.

What is your favorite way to spend a day off?

First, I have a leisurely cup of strong coffee, with a yummy walnut sticky bun, in my P.J.'s.  Then I put on my old gardening clothes, gather my gardening tools and fertilizer and head out to my garden to pamper my roses and other perennials.

I take off my watch and leave my cell phone inside to create a "mini vacation".  By dusk I am ready to come in, make a simple dinner of perhaps salmon, vegetables and salad, and enjoy it with my husband Jeff.  After dinner, we take a walk in downtown Palo ALto, stopping for a decadent dessert or ice cream cone, depend
ing on the weather.  I really like a simple, quiet day off!  Sigh.

Do you keep in touch with your clients after the wedding day?

I try to reconnect with my couples a month or so after the wedding just to reminisce, look at photos and get any feedback they have for me about my service or the service of any of their professionals.  It is heartwarming to see how we have developed strong friendships during the planning process and that we all want to stay connected.

What do you enjoy most about being a wedding planner?

I smile a lot at Christmas time when I receive the photos of all the babies who have come into the lives of my previous clients...somehow I feel like an Auntie, and that really makes me smile!

To meet Jean and hear more tips for planning your wedding, come to Wedding University!

Wedding University
Sunday, February 8, 11 AM - 5 PM
Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley
2050 University AVenue
East Palo Alto
$25 for 1 | $40 for 2 guests

At Wedding University, well-respected professionals will guide you through the fundamentals of planning your wedding.  Topics include floral and tabletop design, music and dance, catering and menu planning (and tasting!), wedding coordination,photography and videography.

No comments: